We had a pie contest at work during our Thanksgiving Potluck two weeks ago… I decided to try and make something that I had never tasted or made before. After hours of searching on Pinterest I found a recipe (I altered it slightly) that ended up putting me tied for first place :)
PEPPERMINT SNOWBALL PIE:
1 chocolate pie crust
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
2 tablespoons boiling water
1 can (12 fl. oz.) Nestle Carnation evaporated milk
1 cup Nestle Toll House premier white morsels
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
1 container (8 oz.) frozen whipped topping
1/2 cup coarsely chopped hard peppermint candies
(^ I used shaved chocolate on the top instead)
Not pictured is the frozen whipped topping! Oops!
1. Place gelatin in a small bowl; stir in boiling water. Let soften for 1 minute.
2. Heat evaporated milk and softened gelatin in small saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly with whisk until mixture is dissolved and hot.
At this point take the frozen whipped topping out of the freezer to thaw.
That little bowl is what the unflavored gelatin mixed with boiling water!
3. Remove from heat; stir in morsels and peppermint extract until completely melted and smooth.
4. Pour into a medium bowl. Refrigerate uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cool to touch. A film will form on the top of the bowl while in the fridge… this is normal.
5. Gently whisk in 2 cups of whipped topping (thawed).
It would be fun to add a drop of red food coloring to make the filling look pink like a peppermint!
Very festive :)
6. Sprinkle 1/4 cup candies over bottom of the crust (I forgot to do this part). Pour filling over pie crust. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until set.
7. Spread remaining whipped topping over center of filling.
8. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup candies (or the chocolate shavings like I did)!
Serve straight out of the fridge. ENJOY!
Here were the rest of the pies at work… stiff competition! I tied with a pear, rosemary and red wine pie. It was absolutely incredible. Maybe I'll try making that next!!
Is there a recipe that you want me to make? I love doing these kind of posts because they're so simple… Just a girl in her kitchen with an iPhone baking or cooking up something tasty! HAHA!
Happy Friday, loves!! Don't forget to enter the $100 giveaway :)
I maaaay have another INSANE giveaway lined up for this coming Sunday-Tuesday. Make sure to stay tuned on Instagram!