Every year I have a tradition of making cheese fondue on my anniversary. Since the boy and I don't normally get to spend it together I make it for my roomies instead :) It becomes a fun night with delicious food, great wine, and even better company.
I thought I would share my recipe with you guys so you can create it for you and your friends, too. Perhaps start your own tradition with it!
1 1/2 cups of beer
2 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz mild cheddar, shredded
8 oz sharp cheddar, shredded
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
ground pepper, to taste
Makes 4-6 servings
sourdough baguette, cut into cubes
chicken sausage bites
anything you want to dip in cheese!
we had peppers and carrots in tzatziki too :)
1. Slice the bread into bites and cut up the apple. It's best to keep the crust on the pieces of bread so the fondue fork has something to spear.
2. Toss the cheese lightly with cornstarch until evenly coated (this step is crucial!! It helps the cheese melt smoothly without any lumps).
we brought our ingredients into our living room to get more comfortable :)
3. In a fondue pot over medium heat, heat the beer with the garlic until bubbles appear
4. Add the cheese a little at a time, stirring each time until the cheese is completely melted.
5. Stir in the mustard, add a splash of worcestershire sauce (I learned this ingredient from The Melting Pot restaurant), and add the fresh ground pepper.
6. Stir the cheese until it thickens slightly and it has a "stringy" consistency.
7. Serve with dippers of your choice! Keep the pot on low/warm so that the cheese doesn't burn.
8. ENJOY!! I recommend a glass of red wine to enhance the flavor
and some girlfriends to share it with :)