It's no secret that I absolutely love Instagram. It's a constant source of creativity for me and I love being able to share little snippets of my life. I love being able to see everyone's "hashtag ootd", what they're eating, and where they're traveling. I'm constantly "screenshotting" quotations and outfits for future inspiration… the platform of social media itself is SO fascinating to me!
My friends always make fun of me that I can put up a picture of nothing and people will still like it [thanks, I love y'all for that hehe ;) ] but I truly think of it as a fun little art experiment. I have some tips and tricks that I wanted to share with y'all! Because I like my instagram feed to be pretty at all times… hehe just kidding, loves!
1. Take the photo in square // There's nothing I hate more than when you have a beautiful picture but the square frame on instagram cuts something off. I use this trick all the time - especially when I'm taking my outfit selfies. I always use my regular camera to take a photo and not the Instagram app itself. I just find the quality to be better! [If you do have a photo that just won't fit in a square I use an app called Afterlight. It's also great for editing.]
2. Natural Lighting // This works almost every time! It helps the camera focus better and it creates a sharper focus. If you don't have natural lighting then make sure you're standing in bright, white light. Confession: this is the lighting for my outfit selfies… in the bathroom! I like having a plain background and the light is shining directly on me.
3. Accessorize // Just like an outfit needs a necklace an instagram needs accessories! Add in a napkin from the restaurant or show off your manicure/ring bling with that fabulous purse. We all know the power of lipstick on a Starbucks cup hehe. Don't be afraid to really set the scene!
4. Don't use a filter - Edit // I love a good filter but I actually never use the pre-made filters. Instead I use the little contrast sun in the middle and then the wrench on the right side to change the brightness, saturation, highlights/shadows, and the contrast. I try to simply enhance the natural colors of the photo and make it crisper!
5. Play with the angle // If you're taking a picture of something and can't fit it in the square then try off-setting it slightly to give it some characteristic. This gives a bit more visual interest to an otherwise boring photo.
6. Add sparkle // I get asked how I add my sparkle all the time! I love little details and this helps fill some space at the same time. I use the app Picfx and select the "light set" for my bokeh (that's the technical term for the sparkle FYI - fun fact)!
7. Straighten things up // I'll be the first to admit that I will move something out of the way to get a better shot. Sometimes that menu in the background just doesn't look good in my food photo (or sometimes it does)! I'm not saying completely stage the photo but you don't want a dirty napkin or a pile of laundry in the photo ;)
8. Don't try too hard // Sometimes things just work… go with it! If you're at brunch and oops! someone's hand got in the shot maybe that helps add to the aesthetic! You are with friends after all :) Let the hand stay and try editing the photo to really get the feel of the evening. This tip also goes with captions - I used to stare at the little caption box trying to think of something perfect to say about my image. Nowadays I just say whatever comes to my mind. Even if it's unrelated with the shot! Sometimes I'm simply amazed that I actually got dressed presentably in the morning!
9. Post what you want // I'm constantly asked if I'm going to create a separate instagram for my blog. NO! My blog is 100% who I am and my friends are 100% who I am as well. I don't want to separate the two because I love them both - I also think that's way too complicated. Yes, I have people unfollow me because I post personal stuff (which drives me crazy) but I also had friends unfollow me for posting blog stuff (which really hurt my feelings) but if you love part of me you have to love all of me. SO I post for myself and I post what I want to see! I like seeing other blogger's food, friends, and babies :)
10. You do you // It's as simple as that. Don't try to be someone else. Don't post something because you think it will get likes. Post whatever makes you feel beautiful/funny/smart. Post what YOU want to see on your page and newsfeed!
Do y'all love Instagram as much as me? [leave me your IG handle I'd love to follow!]
What tips and tricks do you all use? Do you filter or edit?
PS. Be sure to follow me on my Instagram @jennrog :)